THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK. Financial Aid. Award Guide John Jay College of Criminal Justice. - PDF

Please download to get full document.

View again

of 20
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Information Report

Small Business & Entrepreneurship


Views: 6 | Pages: 20

Extension: PDF | Download: 0

Related documents
THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK Financial Aid Award Guide John Jay College of Criminal Justice Contents I. Financial Aid Award Notice II. Evaluating College
THE CITY UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK Financial Aid Award Guide John Jay College of Criminal Justice Contents I. Financial Aid Award Notice II. Evaluating College Costs and Financial Aid Packages III. Financial Aid Payments IV. Attendance and Credit Load V. Satisfactory Academic Progress VI. Description of Financial Aid Programs. 8 Federal Student Aid Grant Programs Federal Work-Study New York State Programs CUNY Programs External Scholarships VII.Student Loans Federal Direct Loans Federal PLUS Loans for Parents Federal Perkins Loans Federal PLUS Loans for Graduate and Professional Students Alternative Loans VIII.Determining Your Aid Eligibility Cost of Attendance Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) Independent Students Appealing Your Contribution/F.A. Award IX. Tax Benefits And Liability Your Financial Aid Award at CUNY Introduction This brochure explains your Financial Aid Award(s) and outlines your rights and responsibilities as a financial aid recipient at The City University of New York. Please read the entire brochure carefully and keep it handy for reference throughout the year. You are responsible for knowing the information in this brochure. Additional information may be obtained by visiting This information was the most accurate available at the time of publication and is subject to change at any time without notice due to the nature of federal, NY State and institutional guidelines affecting aid. You have the responsibility of informing CUNY of any change in your family s financial situation or any outside scholarships you may receive. ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION Financial aid is awarded on an annual basis. You must reapply each year. It is always in your best interest to apply as early as possible. Legal New York residents who did not submit the online TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) application after completing the FAFSA and wish to be considered for New York State aid may access the application at You cannot transfer campus-based aid offered to you by CUNY to any other school outside of the CUNY system. Campus-based aid offered by any other school cannot be transferred to CUNY. Campus-based aid at CUNY consists of Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work Study, Perkins Loans and scholarships. All financial information submitted by you and your parents will remain confidential and will not be released without your permission. 2 SECTION I Financial Aid Award Notice Your Financial Aid Award Notice details the financial aid package being offered to you for the academic year. Award notices list the financial aid offered by an individual CUNY college. If this is not the CUNY college you plan to attend, your Pell and TAP can be transferred to other CUNY schools although campus-based aid which includes Work Study, Perkins and SEOG may not be available at other CUNY schools. If your chosen CUNY college was not originally listed on your FAFSA, you need to add the college code by visiting If you are a TAP recipient, you must inform the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation that you need to change your college code. You can do this at or you can contact the college you plan to attend. You may be eligible for one type of aid or a combination of grant, loan, workstudy employment and scholarship assistance. Your financial aid package is based on your financial need and your eligibility for various aid programs. We may have included outside funds not offered by CUNY in your package to inform you that we took them into account in considering your eligibility for other assistance. For all questions regarding your financial aid offer, contact the Financial Aid Office at the CUNY college you plan to attend. Your colleges financial aid office contact information can be found by visiting then click the link for Financial Aid Contacts. VIEW YOUR FINANCIAL AID AWARD ONLINE To view your award if your college is on CUNYfirst for financial aid: Sign into your CUNYfirst account Click on the Student Center tab Go to the Finances column (Below Academics) Select the View Financial Aid link Select the link for the year and college you would like to view To view your award if your college is not on CUNYfirst for financial aid: Visit and select LOG-IN and then choose CUNY PORTAL Enter your username and password and click Log-in Select Admissions/Financial Aid at the top of your screen Click the efap (Financial Aid) icon OUTSIDE AID YOU MAY RECEIVE Any outside aid you are receiving that is not listed on your award notice must be reported to your college Financial Aid Office. This includes scholarships 3 from all sources; teaching or research assistantships; fellowships; vocational rehabilitation support and all aid from outside sources. We may need to modify your aid package as a result of your receipt of this aid. SECTION II Evaluating College Costs and Financial Aid Packages The most important consideration when selecting a college should be whether the school is going to meet your educational needs. However, you and your family must also consider costs associated with a college when deciding where to enroll. The goal is not to figure out the best deal, but to figure out if your educational choice is affordable. There are two types of expenses involved in paying for college: direct cost and indirect cost. Fixed costs are usually paid at the beginning of each semester and they include tuition and fees. The variable costs are related to expenses incurred while attending classes for example, books, supplies and transportation costs. CUNY NET PRICE CALCULATOR To assist you in determining the financial aid you may receive, you can use the CUNY Net Price Calculator at This will calculate your estimated financial aid awards while attending a CUNY college and show your estimated cost of attendance. The Financial Aid Estimator can also help you compare costs at CUNY to other institutions so that you can determine which colleges are most affordable for you. SECTION III Financial Aid Payments The financial aid offered to you in your award letter is based on full-time enrollment and does not become available until you have registered for classes and attended each class. The enrollment status used to calculate your financial aid eligibility is finalized either at the end of the 7th day from the start of classes or at the end of your college s refund period depending on your school s policy. Credits for coursework dropped prior to the date your enrollment is finalized and/or unattended classes will not be used in calculating your enrollment status for financial aid purposes. If your enrollment status changes, your financial aid may be reduced or canceled and you may be required to return money already disbursed to you. If you have funds (grants/loans) in excess of your tuition and fee bill, after you begin classes, excess funds will be disbursed to you. A description of each financial aid program is included in this booklet in Section VI. You should read the description of each program discussed in this brochure to 4 make sure that you are fulfilling the requirements of the programs from which you are receiving funds. GRANTS Grant funds will usually be credited to your student account once you have registered for classes each term. Different grant programs may have different credit requirements in order for you to receive those funds. FEDERAL DIRECT STAFFORD LOAN Loan funds may also be credited to your student account once your loan has been processed and approved by the federal government. Please refer to Section VII for information on student loans. FEDERAL PERKINS LOAN Each year you are required to complete entrance counseling and your promissory note. Entrance Counseling and the Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note must be signed at After your note is signed, the Perkins Loan funds will be credited to your student account. SCHOLARSHIPS Most university and non-university scholarship funds will be automatically credited to your student account unless the outside agency has made arrangements either to give you the check directly or to send the check to the Bursar s Office at the college you will be attending. Remember, even if you are given the check directly, you are obligated to inform the Financial Aid Office of your receipt of these funds. SECTION IV Attendance and Credit Load NON-ATTENDANCE FIRST TERM If you are offered aid for the full academic year (Fall and Spring semesters) and you will not be enrolling until the Spring term, you must notify the Financial Aid Office at your college as soon as possible. Certain scholarships may be lost if your term of entry into CUNY is not updated in the Admissions Office. ENROLLING FOR LESS THAN FULL-TIME In computing your aid package, we have assumed that you are enrolling on a full-time basis (12 credits or more). If you will be enrolling for less than fulltime, we may recalculate your aid to reflect your reduced costs, and enrollment status. Your Pell Grant is based on your enrollment status at the time the award becomes payable. Other than Pell Grants which can be paid to undergraduate students enrolling for as little as one credit, students enrolling for less than six 5 credits are not eligible for financial aid. Credits for which a student enrolls in an audit capacity do not count for financial aid purposes. REDUCING CREDIT LOAD If you enroll for a full-time credit load (12 credits or more) but drop credits, your aid for the current or subsequent semesters may be effected. If you are employed in a work-study position you must terminate work-study employment if you reduce your credit load below half-time (six credits). You must be enrolled at least half-time at the time your loan is disbursed. Students who have received loans and drop to less than half-time (6 credits) or leaves school will begin their six month grace period and required to complete exit counseling. WITHDRAWAL Students who withdraw from classes may be required to return all or part of the federal financial aid disbursed to them. The amount that must be returned is calculated based on the aid that the student could have received had they stayed enrolled and the date of withdrawal. In most cases, the funds are returned by the Bursar who then bills the student for the amount returned on their behalf. In the case where the Bursar has returned the funds, a hold is placed on the students records until the student repays the college. These return of funds regulations apply only if you with draw before completing at least 60 percent of the term. However, even if you complete 60 percent of the term, you will still be subject to repaying any loans received according to the terms of the promissory note. If you leave school during the semester without officially withdrawing, we will attempt to verify your last day of class attendance. We will then determine how much aid is to be repaid based on the documentation we receive from your instructor(s). The Bursar will return any unearned aid to the federal government and a hold will he placed on your record until you repay the funds returned on your behalf. ADDRESS AND CHANGES We may send correspondence to your mailing address and we may contact you at the address you entered on your FAFSA. It is your responsibility to keep both addresses updated with your college. SECTION V Satisfactory Academic Progress Undergraduate students must make satisfactory academic progress towards the completion of their degree in order to remain eligible for federal and NY State financial aid. SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS FOR FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID PROGRAMS 6 To be in good academic standing you must earn a minimum GPA based on attempted credits as follows: for credits a minimum GPA of 1.5, for credits a minimum GPA of 1.75 and over 24 credits at minimum a GPA of 2.0. If enrolled in a program of more than two academic years a student must have a GPA of at least a C or the equivalent at the end of the second academic year. This means that a student must maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA after being at the school for four semester or six quarters without regard to enrollment status. The credits you attempt can be no more than 150 percent of the credits normally required for the degree. For example: if the degree requires 120 credits, you can attempt no more than 180 credits. Pace of Progression You must successfully complete a certain percentage of the total number of credits that you attempt according to the following: Baccalaureate Degree Programs Attempted Credits Earned Credits Associate Degree Programs Attempted Credits Earned Credits Attempted credits are courses you registered for and did not drop before the end of your college s refund period. SATISFACTORY ACADEMIC PROGRESS FOR NEW YORK STATE FINANCIAL AID PROGRAMS In calculating your enrollment status for TAP purposes, credits (coursework) must be applicable to your degree with the exception of equated credits assigned for remedial coursework. For your first semester of TAP, you must register for at least 3 degree credits and the remaining 9 credits may be equated for remedial coursework. For subsequent semesters, to qualify for TAP, you must register for at least 6 degree credits and the remaining 6 credits may be equated for remedial coursework. Students enrolled in remedial coursework are still required to be full-time including their remedial and degree coursework. You must attain a minimum GPA for each payment requested. If you repeat a course that you previously passed, you may not count the repeated course towards your full-time enrollment for TAP purposes unless your curriculum required a higher grade than you achieved. If you repeat a course that you previously failed, you may include that course towards full-time enrollment for TAP purposes. APPEAL PROCESS: If you become ineligible for financial aid under the above rules you may submit a one-time appeal in writing, explaining the factors that resulted in not meeting the GPA or degree credit requirement. You need to 7 contact the college you are attending to find out the exact procedures for appealing your financial aid ineligibility. SECTION VI Description of Financial Aid Programs Financial aid is provided by the federal government, New York State and CUNY. The types of financial assistance are: GRANTS: Money that does not have to be repaid and is usually based on financial need. SCHOLARSHIPS: Money that does not have to be repaid and is usually based on academic merit. LOANS: Money for school that is borrowed and must be repaid with interest. WORK-STUDY: Money earned from a job that is provided by the College Financial Aid Office. FEDERAL STUDENT AID GRANT PROGRAMS The United States Department of Education offers federal financial assistance programs, which include: Federal Pell Grants, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) and Federal Work-Study (FWS). Each of these programs is discussed separately. The following are requirements and conditions students must meet to be eligible for these programs: Admission into a degree-seeking program. Register for at least six credit hours of study (except for Pell Grants which can be awarded if you are registered for as little as one credit). Be in good academic standing and making satisfactory progress toward completing a degree. Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen. Not be in default of a previous federal student loan or owe a refund of financial aid previously received. Provide documentation to verify the information on the FAFSA if it is requested. Have registered with the Selective Service (for males between the ages of 18 25). Not be convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs while receiving financial aid. FEDERAL PELL GRANTS In the academic year, the maximum Pell Grant is $5,775. Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students, who haven t earned a bachelor s or graduate degree or it s equivalent. The federal government provides enough funding so that every student who is qualified for this program will receive funds. Students will be limited to a maximum of 12 terms of full-time Pell payments or its equivalent for part-time study. 8 FEDERAL SUPPLEMENTAL EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY GRANTS (FSEOG) FSEOG is a federal, campus-based program. If you demonstrate exceptional financial need, CUNY could award you funds from the limited FSEOG fund. To receive FSEOG you must be registered for at least six credit hours, be Pell eligible, and have not completed a bachelor s degree. TEACH GRANT PROGRAM FOR GRADUATE STUDENTS The Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. The TEACH Grants will be awarded to eligible graduate students at CUNY. The aggregate maximum amount is $8,000 for graduate students. Students who fail to meet the teaching obligation will have their Teach Grant converted to an Unsubsidized Direct Loan. For more information on TEACH Grant including the conditions and requirements of the program visit FEDERAL WORK-STUDY The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides you with an opportunity to be placed in a part-time job that accommodates your academic schedule. If you are awarded Federal Work-Study, you must find an eligible work-study job, either oncampus or off-campus, to receive the funds. Each college s Financial Aid Office can help you find a Federal Work-Study job. To receive FWS: You must be registered for at least six credit hours. You must find an eligible part-time job. (Job listings are available in the financial aid office.) You must complete a Department of Homeland Security Form I-9. (This form documents that you are eligible to work in the United States.) You must complete IRS Form W-4, before being placed in a FWS job. (This form determines how much federal income tax should be withheld from your pay, if any.) The amount of financial assistance we offer you in the form of a work-study job reflects the maximum amount of money you will be eligible to earn under the Federal Work-Study program. This does not necessarily mean that you will actually earn the entire amount during the academic year. Your earnings are determined by the rate of pay associated with your job and the number of hours you work per week. Students employed under Federal Work-Study are paid on a biweekly basis. Additional information on FWS: Earning the FWS award is contingent upon working sufficient hours that do not conflict with your classes. Awards do not extend beyond the end of the academic 9 year, and you cannot be paid more work-study funds than you have been awarded by CUNY. You must keep track of your FWS earnings so that you do not exceed your award. Before working during an inter-session or vacation period you must contact the Financial Aid Office at your college to determine how many hours you may work. You must have FICA taxes withheld from your pay if you are employed off-campus or you work during the winter session. If you graduate or you will not be enrolled for at least six credit hours in the spring term, you must stop working the last day of the fall semester. If you receive prior permission from the Financial Aid Office at your college, you may use part or all of your FWS award during the summer term. FWS earnings are considered taxable income and are treated just like any other employment when completing tax returns. However, work-study earnings are not considered as income for aid eligibility purposes when you reapply for financial aid next year. If FWS is included in your aid package we will send you more information about it. Please keep in mind that if you decline work-study, funding limits may prevent us from reinstating it later if you change your mind. If you have questions about work-study, you should call the Financial Aid Office at the college
View more...
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks